Technician (I, II, III)
Company: City of Harrisonburg, VA
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Do you want to make a direct impact in the local community by
utilizing your technical skills in a variety of installation,
maintenance, and repair projects? If so, apply to the Public
Utilities Department's Technician position!
The Technician position in Public Utilities is a full-time position
with benefits, and this advertisement has been written for a
Technician III level. Applicants who do not meet the minimum
qualifications for the Technician III level may be considered for
other levels within the department at an annual rate commensurate
with applicant qualifications.
Preferred Hiring Ranges*:
* Journeyman: $16.60 - $19.09 per hour (equivalent to $34,528 -
* Technician I: $17.59 - $20.23 per hour (equivalent to $36,587 -
* Technician II: $18.64 - $21.44 per hour (equivalent to $38,771 -
* Technician III: $19.76 - $22.72 per hour (equivalent to $41,100 -
* An exact salary will be determined based upon the selected
candidates' qualifications and in compliance with City Policy
As a Technician in Public Utilities, you will:
* Serve as a team leader and assist with the supervision of other
* Operate a variety of equipment, specific to water and sewer
utilities, powered by small engines, air, electricity, and/or
* Assist in the installation, maintenance, locations, and
inspections of water and sewer lines and related facilities;
* Load and transport large construction vehicles;
* Operate rubber-tired backhoe, tracked excavators, or other
* Operate large tap machines and core drill machines;
* Establish grades with an automatic level and grade with a loader
or other similar equipment;
* Interact with utility customers to relay appropriate and
pertinent information, determine water service status, and field
* Maintain appropriate records and files, including providing
written documentation of field activities;
* Assist other city departments, as needed, within class
* Performs other related tasks as required.
Minimum Requirements for the Technician III Level:
* High school diploma or GED and considerable (3-5 years)
experience in municipal water and sewer operations requiring broad
technical and/or mechanical knowledge, or an equivalent combination
of education and experience.
* Valid driver's license. Current possession of or the ability to a
valid Virginia Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class B within six
(6) months of hire date. CDL Class A preferred but not
* Basic Work Zone Traffic Control Certification through the
Virginia Department of Transportation.
* Availability and willingness to participate in an on-call status
for off-hours emergency response and a rotating non-working hours
* Click here to view the physical requirements of this
Interested in a career with Public Utilities but don't meet all of
the minimum requirements above for the Technician III level?All
applicants will be considered, for the level in which they qualify,
at a rate commensurate with qualifications as stated above in this
ad. You may click on the hyperlinked job titles at the top of this
ad to view more information related to that particular
The ideal candidate will have:
* General knowledge of maintenance, repair, and manual tasks in
addition to general knowledge of the use of common hand and
specialized power tools required in the industry;
* Basic computer skills;
* The ability to perform continuous heavy manual work at a steady
pace often under unfavorable weather conditions;
* The ability to diagnose and repair problems and plan and organize
appropriate corrective action.
The selected candidate for this position will be subject to the
following screenings and must receive satisfactory results:
* Alcohol and drug testing as required by the Department of
Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
* FMCSA Clearinghouse Query;
* DMV record review;
* Job-specific physical; and
* Criminal background check.
To Apply:In order to be considered, all candidates must submit a
complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application,
including previous work experience and education history. This
position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health
insurance, retirement (VRS & MissionSquare), life insurance, paid
leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Keywords: City of Harrisonburg, VA, Harrisonburg , Technician (I, II, III), Engineering , Harrisonburg, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!